January 17-20, 2014
Offered in conjunction with the Whitehead International Film Festival
The class fulfills several purposes:
- to increase our ability to understand the artistic merits in film;
- to explore ways of utilizing films to probe issues of faith;
- to serve as a jury for the Whitehead International Film Festival, deciding which of the eleven feature films best meets the criteria of “Celebrating Films that Promote the Common Good.”
Faith & film class -
$250 for P&F members/$300 for non-members:
includes class, opening night banquet, full film pass, 2 dinners.
Professor Marjorie Hewitt Suchocki
Criteria for Evaluating Whitehead Films
- Exhibits artistic excellence in screenplay, music, and filming technique.
- Promotes the common good, which is defined as a society in which persons and communities care for one another’s well-being.
- Exhibits sensitivity to the human situation, promoting the dignity of all.
- Fosters ecological responsibility as appropriate to the film’s content.”
- Cultivates a realistic hope of creative transformation.
Friday, January 17, 2014
10:00 Orientation to class, and Screening of English-Vinglish (India)
12:00 Break for lunch
1:30 Discussion of English-Vinglish
2:30 How can we use film in churches?
3:00 Class break
3:20 The art of film
4:00 Starting your own Whitehead International Film Festival
5:00 Class ends. Reconvene at 6:00 in Haddon Conference Room for banquet.
6:00 Opening Banquet in Haddon
7:30 Screening of opening short, and feature, Closed Season (Germany)
Saturday January 18, 2014
9:00 Class discussion of opening film
10:00 Screening of short film, and feature, Tall as the Baobab Tree (Senegal)
1:00 Discussion of Tall as the Baobab Tree
2:00 Screening of short film, and feature, Hannah Arendt (Germany/Israel)
4:00 Discussion of Hannah Arendt
5:00 Class break
7:00 Screening of short film, followed by feature, Touch of the Light (Taiwan).
Sunday, January 19, 2014
1:00 Screening of short film, followed by feature, The Deep (Iceland)
3:00 Screening of short film, followed by feature, Paris Under Watch (France)
5:00 Discussion of afternoon films; light supper served
7:00 Screening of short film, followed by feature, Shun Li and the Poet (Italy)
Monday, January 20, 2014
9:00 Class discussion of Shun Li and the Poet
10:00 Screening of short film, followed by feature, La Playa D.C. (Colombia)
1:00 Discussion of La Playa D.C.
2:00 Screening of short film, followed by feature, The New World (Netherlands)
4:00 Dinner meeting, discussion of afternoon film and determination of which film
receives the Whitehead Award
7:00 Screening of short film, followed by English-Vinglish
9:00 Announcement of Whitehead Award